If you ever wanted to travel and stay in the healthcare industry at the same time, you should consider a career as a travel nurse. Depending on its nature, the length of each assignment may vary, but generally, it’s around the 13 weeks mark. If you are willing to put in the necessary work, even international travel might not be out of question in the long run. Now, the question is how to become a travel nurse? Let’s find out.
The Necessary Education
As is obvious, you will need the proper education and for that, you will have to become a registered nurse first by completing an accredited college nursing program after high school. In case you are already a registered nurse, it is recommended that you complete your RN to MSN as well. While even BSN is not always a requirement for working as a travel nurse, it will most definitely help during appointment if you have the higher qualifications on your resumé. In case you can’t leave your job as a nurse at the moment, you can complete your MSN online because the program is much more flexible and economic when done on the internet.
Experience is another necessity if you want to be a travel nurse and although the requirements may vary, check out the following general requirements that usually apply in case of most jobs.
- You must have the experience of being a nurse at a registered institution for at least a year or preferably more
- You may also need to have specialization in certain fieldslike critical care, emergency and trauma, cardiac nursing, etc.
Nursing licenses are necessary to practice in any location and in the US, a nurse practitioner’s license from one state isn’t valid in another. The good news is that you don’t need to apply for a license each time you change a state as a travel nurse if your home state is a part of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). If it isn’t though, your employer will likely have to take care of the temporary licenses necessary for you to practice in a particular US state.
Tax free stipends are a big incentive for working as a traveling nurse, but you need to first understand how that works. Consider the points below to take full advantage of what’s in place.
- You will have to establish and maintain a “tax home” first
- You will have to establish that your office or place of employment is sufficiently distant enough for you to stay there overnight
- If you do not have a tax home established, your stipends will become taxable
Basically, these four are all that you need to concern yourself with in order to work as a traveling nurse. However, just like any other job that is a bit out of the ordinary, there are a lot of other details as well, which you will come to know with time. Nevertheless, as long as you have your degrees, experience and license, there’s little that can stop you from becoming a travel nurse.
GIST or Geographic Information Science Technology is becoming an increasingly popular degree course in the United States, not least because of the amount of different careers available upon graduation. After graduating from an online GIST program, you can work for the government, for law enforcement and criminal justice, in transportation, or even for health and human services, the options are endless.
And, now that colleges like the University of Southern California are offering online geographic information science and technology degree courses, anyone can study from the comfort of their own home. The infographic below, created by the university, explains in full just what you can do with a GIST degree. As you can see, there are tons of industries you can work in.
Common Career Paths for the Student of Geographic Information and Technology is an infographic created by the University of Southern California.
Jargon is something that most people hate, but that seems to be totally inevitable regardless. If you are looking into the different music business programs, it is likely that you will instantly start to come across quite a bit of jargon. Hence, before you actually enroll, you may want to familiarize yourself with some of the most common terms, giving you a heads up above the rest.
Jargon and Terminology in the World of Music Business
- Bundling and unbundling – When tracks can be downloaded, but only if they are purchased as part of an album, they have been “bundled”. This means that you have to buy more than just one song. When a track is unbundled, it means you can buy it on its own, just like the old-fashioned “singles” of years gone by.
- Bundle – A bundle is basically a type of music service, tied up for third parties. For instance, a French bank entered into an agreement with Universal Music Group, offering young people a music service if they took out a credit card. This means financial services and music are tied together, and that is a “bundle”.
- Re-bundle – This describes when artists create a bundle of products as one large package. For instance, they can create a concert package, whereby fans receive the ticket, DVD, t-shirt, and CD, for one price. Re-bundling is very popular among artists with large fan bases. Fans, meanwhile, are happy about getting a good bundle deal, which is generally cheaper than purchasing each of the items individually.
- A la Carte – This is a term that puts control back in the hands of the customer. A good example of this is the iTunes music service. Those who put credit into their iTunes account can spend their credit on anything they want, regardless of genres, artists, songs, and so on.
- Streaming – This is one of the most important technical terms around nowadays, as it links music production with the online world. Streaming is very different from download, because with a download, you actually move the entire file to an external device before being able to hear it. With streaming, however, you can listen instantly, but the file will not be put on your device. In fact, downloading music is almost always illegal.
- Subscriptions – Most of us are aware of what a subscription is. Within the world of music, it generally means that people subscribe to a certain music services, such as Spotify or Amazon Prime Music.
- Ad-funded Models – This is a business type whereby revenue is shared among providers of content. For instance, Spotify make its subscribers view advertisements before they can play the music. Spotify gets paid for this, and this money is shared between the owners of the music on which the ad was shown.
- Music on Demand – This is a service that allows people to watch, play back, or listen to high quality music simply by pressing play, even though the music is not stored on their device. That has been made possible thanks to various technological developments.
When you consider the types of things that you want to receive from your career, many people will suggest that money and power are the key components which they would like from their job. Whilst this is all well and good, there are many others who want a job which commands respect. On a personal note, respect is something that is not always easy to come by yet there are jobs which will demand instant respect and today we are going to take a look at just some of the professions which you could do if it is respect that you are after.
What more respectable position is there than one which helps to cure and save lives on a daily basis. That is exactly what medical professionals do and it is for that reason that they are so widely respected. Whether you decide to become a nurse, a neurosurgeon like the fantastic Joseph Yazdi or a family doctor, you will be able to command respect as a result of the amazing work which you do.
Lawyers earn and deserve respect because of their work towards uploading the law and ensuring that everyone receives a fair trial no matter what they have been accused of. Lawyers must work incredibly hard to gain the position which they hold which is yet another reason why they can command so much respect from the public and from others within the legal profession.
They may not always hold our respect but politicians by their very nature command respect form those around them. At whatever level of government they are working in, politicians are representatives of the people and it is for this reason why they automatically earn respect. Even those with opposing views will respect politicians for the work that they do in upholding democracy and working for the people.
Priests and Religious Leaders
For anyone of faith, religious leaders hold a position which is to be completely respected, these men and women of god are spiritual leaders who believers look to for advice, teaching and counsel. Priests and religious leaders must also work and study hard to achieve their position and they are also heavily respected not only for their level of belief but also the amount of knowledge which they hold and have amassed over the years.
They may not always earn the respect from their class but teachers are widely respected by the general public and it is easy to see why. Teachers work tirelessly to shape the minds of the future and the next generation of the World, they must put in long hours and have the ability to teach a wide variety of people to the exact same standard. Without teachers we would not be able to achieve the knowledge that we have nor the belief in ourselves to succeed and it is for this reason that they are so well respected.